Spencer golf dates back to 1904 or earlier, when a handful of young men marked off a course in the area where the gates of the Clay County Fair now stand. The course consisted of tin cans buried in the ground for cups, and was in a pasture area with sheep doing the mowing. Players would use the sheep as a lie (point of reference) after hitting their ball, and would sometimes lose it after the sheep moved on! This "Kil-Care Golf Club" was used more or less for four years. Spencer golfers found plenty of support in 1919 when they proposed a Golf and Country Club as a recreational center, which eventually resulted in the incorporation of Spencer Golf and Country Club in June, 1919. A horse-drawn mower was shipped to Spencer from an eastern factory for lawn care.
Grandview Golf Course, located on Highway 71 on 4th Avenue SW opened in 1964 using temporary greens. Grass greens were completed for the 1975 season. On February 17, 1975, a petition of approximately 700 signatures was submitted to the Spencer City Council requesting the consideration to purchase or build a Municipal Golf Course. The petition included interest in approximately 177 memberships for various season passes. In 1976, the City purchased the Grandview Golf Course, and it was renamed Spencer Municipal Golf Course. The course was initially operated under the Park Board, until the first Golf Course Board was formed in November, 1984. The course grew considerably over the years with a peak membership of 406 season passes, with 23,000 golfers signing in annually.
The Spencer Municipal Golf Course went under a renovation and addition in 1999. Close to 82 acres of land was purchased for the expansion to an 18 hole golf course. The golf course reopened in 2001 as a brand new 18 hole municipal facility. The course measures 6809 yards from the rear black tees and 5218 yards from the forward red tees. USGA Course Ratings and Slope Ratings are 72 and 126 respectively. The greens are Providence Bentgrass. Tees and Fairways consist of low mow bluegrasses. The course features 34 sand traps, greenside mounding, and several water hazards making your golfing experience even more attractive.
In 2008, the SMGC board started the process of building a brand new clubhouse facility. After many months of volunteer help, city staff, and our local contractor, we unveiled our new facility in August of 2009. The new facility can comfortably seat 200+ golfers for any event or tournament. We offer a limited quick food service menu, full bar, and a fun filled atmosphere.
Other amenities include an extremely large practice putting green, a practice chipping green (with practice sand bunker), and a very large grass driving range with several target greens. The golf shop offers limited golf equipment and apparel at discount prices. It also features a full line of refreshments and food items.